Brussels Sprouts and Potato Hash
This hearty and healthy breakfast also makes a satisfying quick weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) butter, divided
- 4 slices peameal bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ( 0.5 kg ) small red potatoes, cooked and halved
- 1 large leek, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 tsp ( 10 mL ) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) pepper
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) paprika
- ½ lb ( 0.3 kg ) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) each salt and pepper
Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook bacon for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate and set aside.
In same pan, melt remaining butter over medium-high heat; cook potatoes for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add leek, thyme, garlic, pepper and paprika; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until leeks start to soften. Add Brussels sprouts and broth; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until Brussels sprouts start to soften and liquid has evaporated. Stir in bacon.
Melt butter in nonstick skillet set over medium heat; break eggs into skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness.
Divide hash among 4 plates. Top with fried eggs and sprinkle evenly with parsley.
• Add pinch of cayenne pepper or chili flakes for a spicy addition.
• Substitute shallots or onions for leek if desired.