- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed (half of an 850 g package)
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) chopped mushrooms
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) chopped onions
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) diced red sweet pepper
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh thyme (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Unroll the puff pastry; on the parchment or plastic sheet the pastry comes wrapped in, cut the pastry into six equal pieces (about 5 or 6 inches (13 or 15 cm) square-ish). Carefully transfer the pastry pieces to the baking sheets. Being cautious not to cut through the pastry to the pan, run a knife around each piece about ½ inch (1 cm) from the edge.
Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and, with a fork, press down the centres of each pastry within the scored area.
Sprinkle about 2 tbsp chopped mushrooms, 2 tbsp chopped onions, and 2 tbsp sweet pepper around the edge of each pastry. Carefully crack an egg into the indented centres. Sprinkle the eggs with pepper, then top each egg and pastry with about 2 tbsp parmesan cheese.
Bake until the eggs are cooked as desired, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with dill, if using.
- To prevent the pastry from losing its shape when you transfer it to the baking sheet, gently and loosely roll each cut piece over a rolling pin, then unroll it onto the parchment paper-lined pan.
- You may find it helpful to crack each egg individually into a small bowl before placing it onto the pastry.
- For additional browning of the pastry, sprinkle the toppings just inside the indented portion of the pastry. Brush exposed pastry with a beaten egg or a little milk before the second round of baking.
- Serve with a drizzle of hollandaise sauce over the warm puff pastry.
- Diced deli ham or turkey breast, shredded Gouda cheese, and chopped fresh parsley
- Crumbled cooked bacon, shredded Swiss cheese, and chopped fresh chives
- Diced smoked salmon, diced red pepper, crumbled feta cheese
- Sliced olives, roasted red peppers and oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, shredded Swiss cheese, and chopped fresh basil