If you’ve seen the new Canadian Food Guide, you know that two of the main focuses are: protein-filled foods and having plenty of fruits and vegetables. We’ve got good news for you; not only are whole eggs the highest quality source of protein available, but they go perfectly with both fruits and veggies. Why? Because the versatility of eggs makes them the perfect vehicle for your favourite fruits, vegetables and whole grains, no matter which you prefer.
Whether you’re sticking to a plant-based diet or just trying to fit more protein and fruits and veggies into your meals, we’ve put together some of our favourite recipes to keep you fueled all day long.
- Not only was there a strong focus on protein and fruits and veggies in the Food Guide, but on whole grains as well. That’s where Banana Oat Pancakes come in! Sweetened with banana and made with rolled oats instead of flour, they’re a healthier twist on your favourite sweet breakfast. BONUS: the whole family will love it and the kids will have no idea it’s a healthy breakfast!
- Double up on the heart-healthy foods when you combine eggs and avocado. Not only are Baked Avocado Eggs a modern twist on a baked egg, but the avocado makes for a creamy and delicious edible breakfast bowl!
- Want a delicious and nutritious one-skillet meal? Shakshuka is the answer to busy weeknights.
- Mushroom lovers rejoice! This hearty Poached Egg Wild Mushroom Salad is the perfectway to eat all of your favourite mushrooms and a poached egg at the same time. Take your pick of cremini, oyster or shiitake mushrooms, OR why not try a blend of all three?
- The taste of Mexico at lunch? Yes please! Chock full of hearty ingredients like beans, tomatoes, avocado and of course soft-boiled eggs, this Huevos Rancheros Salad will fill you right up and help you power through the afternoon!
- Get to know your new favourite whole grain: barley! It’s so delicious you’ll barely know it’s healthy. Poached Egg with Mushroom and Barley Pilaf is the perfect weeknight dinner to add to your repertoire of plant-based dishes!
- The best part about frittatas? Their versatility and ability to taste delicious no matter what veggies you fill it with. This Zesty Eggplant Frittata is all about eggplant, peppers and tomatoes. Not to mention, it tastes just as delicious the next morning for a breakfast of leftovers!
- Introducing your new favourite snack: Crustless Carrot Mini Quiches! Not only do carrots have endless health benefits, but these easy snacks can be prepared in advance and stored in the freezer. Delicious, healthy, AND convenient.
- Spinach and Mushroom Soba Noodle Soup is comfort in a bowl. Enjoy it alongside a fluffy green salad.
- Healthy AND quick to prepare, does it get any better? Enjoy the pop of protein on-the-go for those rushed mornings with Muffin Tin Frittatas with Salsa.