Mushroom Fried Rice with Crispy Egg
If you love traditional fried rice, you’ll enjoy Chef Lynn Crawford’s version that includes purple jasmine Thai rice and an egg fried with ginger and bread crumbs. Perfect for a weeknight dinner for two!
- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) olive oil
- 3-4 king oyster mushrooms, cut lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) chopped leeks
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) grated ginger
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) cooked purple jasmine Thai rice
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) soy sauce
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) unsalted butter, divided
- 6 tbsp ( 90 mL ) Panko bread crumbs mixed with 2 tsp grated ginger, divided
- 2 large eggs
In skillet set over medium-high heat, add oil and heat to shimmering, add mushrooms and cook until golden, about 3 minutes, turning often. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
To skillet, add leek, butter, garlic, ginger, rice and soy sauce and stir-fry 2 minutes, add green onion and stir-fry 1 minute more. Keep rice warm while frying eggs.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Spoon 3 tablespoons Panko mixture into centre of a non-stick pan and use back of spoon to flatten. Fry until bottom is golden and slightly crispy, then crack egg on top and cook until white has set, about 2 minutes more. Repeat process with remaining egg.
To serve, divide rice onto two warmed plates, set crispy egg on top and serve immediately.