- Prep Time:
- 5 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) mayonnaise
- 4 thin slices deli-style turkey
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 tsp ( 20 mL ) softened butter
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) butter or oil
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Place the bread in pairs on a clean work surface. Spread the mayonnaise over one slice of each pair. Top that slice with the turkey and cheese.
Place the second slice of bread over the cheese. Spread 1 teaspoon (5 mL) butter over each top slice of bread.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Place the sandwiches, buttered side down, into the pan. Spread the remaining butter over the unbuttered top slices of bread. Cook, flipping the sandwiches over partway through, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.
While the sandwiches are cooking, heat 1 teaspoon (5 mL) butter or oil in a second frying pan. Break the eggs into the pan. If desired, season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the eggs are fried as preferred (see below for cooking suggestions).
Remove the grilled sandwiches from the frying pan and place on two plates. Top each sandwich with a fried egg.
- For a sunny side up fried egg, cook just until the white is set.
- For over easy, cook until the white is set. Flip over and cook just long enough for a white film to form over the yolk, about 30 seconds.
- For over well, cook until the white is set. Flip over and cook until the yolk is completely cooked, about 1 minute.
- For steam-fried, prepare sunny side up. Cover the frying pan during the last minute of cooking, or spoon 1 teaspoon (5 mL) water over the egg and cover the pan. Cook until done as desired.
- To minimize clean up, or if you don’t have a second frying pan, cook the sandwiches first; remove them from the pan, cover and keep them warm. Fry the eggs in the same pan.
- Sandwiches can also be cooked in a panini grill. Cook with the lid closed until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.