Chef Trevor Bird's Pink Pickled Eggs
Pretty in pink, these pickled eggs are as good to eat as they are to look at. The key to their pink hue is beet juice!
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 13 min
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) beet juice (see below)
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) white vinegar
- ⅓ tbsp ( 5 mL ) water
- 3 tsp ( 15 mL ) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ( 10 mL ) pickling spice
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) salt
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
Combine beet juice, vinegar, water, sugar, pickling spice, salt and onion in medium saucepan.
Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until sugar dissolves; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool for 15 minutes, then strain and discard pickling spice and onions.
Place eggs in 4-cup (1 L) glass jar with lid. Pour beet juice mixture over eggs. Cover jar and place in refrigerator to marinate for 2 to 3 days before serving.
Juice from a can (14 oz/398 mL) of beets will yield 3/4 cup (175 mL) beet juice.