- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- 6 corn tortillas (7 inch/18 cm), chopped into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) each salt and pepper, divided
- 8 eggs
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Toss tortillas with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil until coated. Transfer to two parchment paper–lined baking sheets; bake on top and bottom racks of oven, switching and rotating trays halfway through, for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp and browned around edges.
Heat remaining oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook onion, red pepper, jalapeño, garlic, and half of the salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, 2 tbsp (30 mL) water and remaining salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into skillet; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft curds start to form. Stir in tortilla chips and tomato; cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.
• Serve with hot sauce, sour cream, tomato or tomatillo salsa.
• Alternatively, instead of crisping the tortillas, use lightly salted corn tortilla chips.