- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) salted butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) curry powder (mild or hot)
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cups ( 440 mL ) vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) baby spinach
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until transparent (about 2 minutes), stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add red pepper and curry powder; stir to combine. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add stock, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, while rice is cooking, fill a medium saucepan with 3 to 4 inches (8 to 10 cm) of water. Add vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Break each egg into a small ramekin or bowl. Gently slide eggs into simmering water one at a time. Cook until whites are set and yolks are soft, 3 to 4 minutes (3 minutes makes a runnier egg). Remove eggs with a slotted spoon.
Once rice is cooked, remove from heat, uncover and fluff with a fork. Stir in spinach and mint; season with salt and pepper. Divide rice onto four plates. Place an egg on top of each bed of spiced rice.
Serve with mango chutney on the side for an authentic flavour!